August is the last month before back to business and back to school – or at least that’s how it would be in a normal year. In this year of coronavirus, we all must be flexible and adapt to changing circumstances! Nevertheless, there’s plenty of ideas for seasonal events and themes for communicating with your clients and prospects in social media and email. And here’ a handy guide for you and your clients if you’re looking for potential late summer road trips: COVID-19 in August: Your Guide to US State Travel Restrictions. “Know before you go” is the order of the day.
Early in the month we celebrate Farmer’s Market week – support local farms and remind your clients to buy fresh and buy local! National Lighthouse Day is a great excuse for a road trip. Plus, there are fun national events, too, like International Beer Day and Elvis Week, which is offering virtual celebrations online. Maybe it’s time to say “Thank ya very much” to your customers!
Hurricane season continues through the end of November, plus the dog days of summer can deliver strong summer electrical storms, heat waves, and other weather emergencies. Talk to clients about swimming pool safety, lightning safety, flash flooding and other storm precautions. And remember that August is Black Business Month, a good time to promote, support and reach out to your Black business insureds!
Think about communicating to your clients about back-to-school safety and insurance matters for kids departing to college. Of course, back-to-school safety takes on a different focus this year. Here are a few tools that might be helpful to parents, both from the CDC: School Decision-Making Tool for Parents, Caregivers, and Guardians and Back to School Planning: Checklists to Guide Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers
We offer links to events and themes below. And to get the max out of the last month of summer, we’ve provided links to outside activities, which are among the safest things to do in these trying times.
Monthly observances for social media themes
Specific days and weeks for social media themes
August 1-7 – National Clown Week
August 2-8 – National Farmers’ Market Week
August 2-8 – International Assistance Dog Week
August 3 – International Beer Day
August 7 – National Lighthouse Day
August 8-16 – Elvis Week
August 10 – National S’Mores Day
August 15 – National Honey Bee Day
August 15 – National Model Aviation Day
August 16 – National Roller Coaster Day
August 19 – World Humanitarian Day
August 19 – National Aviation Day
August 21 – National Senior Citizens Day
August 16 – 22 – Connecticut 2016 Sales Tax Holiday
Labor Day is on the 7th of September this year.
Walking, Biking, and Hiking New England for social media
Outdoor activities are among the safest things we can do. Fortunately, here in New England, we have beautiful scenery. Here are some suggestions:
- Walking & Hiking in New England
- Top 25 Hikes in New England – most of these are moderately to extremely difficult
- New England Trail – a 215-mile hiking trail route running from Long Island Sound in CT to the MA/NH border. It has been in existence for over half a century. The NET travels through 41 communities in Connecticut and Massachusetts.
- Find a hike
- Amazing New England Hikes – Boston Magazine offers 55 hikes, from the bucolic fields of Middlesex Fells to the waterfalls of Maine. An interactive guide features everything from mapped locations to difficulty levels.
- Hike Finder from Hike New England
- Top 10 country walks explore deep woods, majestic cliffs, waterside views
- 7 Best Walks in New England
- Coastal Trails of Massachusetts
- Seacoast region of NH is a lovely setting for walking and hiking
- 10 Coastal Bike Paths in New England
- New England Mountain Bike Association
- Bike New England
- How to make the most of New England’s rail-trail system
What about Florida? Glad you asked!
- 10 Great Hiking Trails in Florida
- Florida Hiking Trails Map
- Florida Outdoor Adventures & Activities
- 16 Perfect Places to Go in Florida if You’re Feeling Adventurous
- Put “Google My Business” to Work for Your Insurance Agency
- Why Insurance Agency Blogging Matters and 10 Blog Post Ideas