As you look to grow your agency in the face of an ongoing pandemic, it’s important to take a clear-eyed view of your current and prospective book of business. The toll that COVID-19 took on some business sectors was immediately apparent to the casual observer. Travel and hospitality businesses deflated immediately and have yet to recover; Grocery and online retail soared.
But the impact on some other industries may be more subtle or nuanced, less intuitive. This list offers potential commercial lines segments you may want to target.
- Home improvement and repair, DIY, home furnishings – services and retail for home and garden
- Yard-care and landscaping services
- Home office furnishings and equipment
- Technology and tools enabling remote work and collaboration
- Online learning services and technologies
- Tutoring services
- Home fitness and workout equipment from yoga mats to gym equipment; apps and online workouts
- Hiking, biking, and other solo sports-related businesses
- Delivery and courier services
- Online retail
- Food & beverage – Supermarkets, local groceries, corner shops, online groceries, liquor stores, gourmet and gift products
- Subscription services – food, beverage, streaming content
- Home entertainment, games, and hobbies
- Freelance and contract services
- Sanitary and hygienic products and cleaning services; mask makers
- Robotics and technologies that enable contactless transactions
As the world changes around you, react accordingly. The niches you developed expertise in several years ago are changing right before your eyes. It’s important to recalibrate and assess your book of business and your go-forward strategy.
Change is hard and the quicker we accept and adapt, the better prepared we’ll be to keep our doors open, provide the quality service our clients expect, and continue to grow.
Renaissance Alliance and its expert team of Market Placement Specialists are keeping a close eye on these trends and are here to help agents find the right markets and the right coverage solutions for clients.
Learn more about membership »
Sources and further reading
AmTrust: Certain Businesses Thrive during the COVID-19 Pandemic
US Chamber: 20 Small Businesses Thriving During Coronavirus
Financial Management Magazine: 10 business sectors boosted by coronavirus concerns
Deloitte: Covid-19 sector insights report and COVID-19 sector heatmaps
The Conversation US: Coronavirus: your guide to winners and losers in the business world
Colliers International: 12 Industry Channels Expected to Thrive Post-COVID-19
Senior Vice President, Carrier Partnership Management
Related Blog posts
Reduced Personal Lines Losses Increase Industry Profitability
The Impact of COVID-19 on Small Businesses
3 Steps to Leading New Customers to Your Insurance Agency